The High School selection process is for current high school students applying to enter Duke/UNC in the fall of 2015.
All students who wish to be considered for the Robertson Scholars Leadership Program are strongly encouraged to complete our online application. While all students who apply to Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill are automatically considered for merit scholarships, completing the Robertson Scholars online application is the only way to ensure that the student’s materials will be reviewed by our selection committee.
The 2014 application deadline has passed. Students who wish to access their completed application may do so here: https://www.applywithease.com/robertson_scholars/.
- November 15 – Robertson application deadline
- February 18 – Semifinalist notification
- February 27-March 1 – Semifinalist interviews, via video chat or phone
- March 5 – Finalist notification
- March 28-31 – Finalist Weekend in North Carolina
- Early April – Offers made
- Students must apply for undergraduate admission to Duke and/or UNC-Chapel Hill the same year that they apply to the Robertson Scholars Leadership Program.
- Students must apply to the school(s) of their choice by the respective Early or Regular deadlines. Duke’s Early Decision deadline is November 1, 2014 and Regular Decision deadline is January 1, 2015. UNC-Chapel Hill’s Early Action deadline is October 15, 2014 and Regular Decision deadline is January 10, 2015.
- Admission to Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill are separate processes. All forms and correspondence dealing with admission to these institutions should go directly to their respective Offices of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Students who are currently studying in the U.K., African Leadership Academy, New Zealand, and Australia should review the International Selection page for eligibility guidelines.
- All international students from regions other than the U.K., Africa, New Zealand, and Australia, and students from these regions who do not meet our partner school requirements are eligible to apply for the Robertson Program and should complete the traditional High School application.
- Transfer students are not eligible to apply.
- Students who have applied to the Morehead-Cain Scholarship are not eligible to apply for the Robertson at UNC-Chapel Hill, but they may apply for the Robertson at Duke.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click a question below to read more.
Do I need to submit an official transcript for my Robertson Program application?
No. However, you will need to be able to provide certain details from your transcript in the application (e.g., GPA, SAT/ACT, AP/IB scores). In addition, you must submit an official transcript as part of your university admissions application to Duke and/or UNC.
What standardized tests are required to apply?
The Robertson Scholars online application requires that students self-report either their SAT score OR ACT score. Students may also choose to report both scores. SAT Subject scores are not required, but students may choose to report these scores as well if they choose.
Note that you will need to send official score reports as part of your Duke and/or UNC admissions application.
Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation for me?
- We require 2 letters of recommendation for each applicant
- At least one recommender should be a teacher who has seen you in a classroom setting
- The second recommender may be anyone who can speak to your leadership and character (teacher, coach, counselor, job/volunteer supervisor, research mentor, etc)
- Recommendations from family members, family friends, and peers are not encouraged
- You will be asked to submit the names and email addresses of your recommenders through the online application system. Your recommender will then receive a request email that contains a link to the online recommender form.
- Specific prompts can be found on the Recommenders page. We are also happy to accept more general letters of recommendation.
Do I have to apply Early Decision/Early Action or Regular Decision in order to be considered for the Robertson?
You may apply either Early Decision or Regular Decision to Duke, or Early Action or Regular Decision to UNC-Chapel Hill. As long as you apply for first-year undergraduate admission to one or both of these universities, you are eligible to apply for the Robertson.
Do I have to complete my Duke or UNC-Chapel Hill application BEFORE I submit the Robertson application?
No. Your Robertson application needs to be submitted by the Robertson deadline. Your Duke and/or UNC admissions applications should abide by the respective institution’s application deadlines.
Will the Robertson Selection Committee have access to my Duke or UNC-Chapel Hill Common Applications?
We will primarily evaluate students based on the Robertson online application. While we will see students’ Duke and/or UNC applications later in the process, we recommend including all critical information in the Robertson application since the first round of decisions is made without reference to the university applications. As such, students may duplicate essays if they choose, as long the essays answer our specific questions on the online application.
Do I have to apply to both Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill to be considered for the Robertson Program?
No. Students can apply to one or both of the schools and will be considered separately for the Robertson Scholars Leadership Program at each university to which they have applied. For example: a student who applies to both universities may be considered for the Robertson at both, but a student who applies only to UNC-Chapel Hill will only be considered at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Will applying to both Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill increase my chances for selection to the Robertson Program?
We consider applicants based on the university to which they have applied. Students who apply to both Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill will be considered separately for the Robertson Program at each university to which they have applied. Applying to both schools may or may not increase a student’s chance for admission depending on the strength of the applicant pools at each university. We recommend that students apply to the school(s) they feel are the best personal fit for them.
Can I be considered for the Robertson Program at both Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill?
Yes. A student who completes admission applications to both Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill can be considered for the Robertson Program at both schools. However, because the Robertson Program’s selection processes at Duke and UNC-Chapel Hill are independent of one another, a student who applies to both universities will be considered separately by the two Robertson selection committees and may or may not be selected for further consideration as a Robertson candidate based on the applicant pool at each university. Students may be named as Finalists for the Robertson Scholars Leadership Program at both schools.
Do North Carolina residents receive special consideration for the Robertson Program?
No. All students are considered equally regardless of their state or country of residence.
How many people from each high school can apply for the Robertson Program?
There is no limit to the number of students from each high school who can complete the Robertson application.