Work. Serve. Thrive. With the City of Durham
Advance in your career while making a real difference in the community you serve.
Hiring Range: $17.40 – $19.58 hourly
Hours: Flexible (approx. 10 hours/week, Monday – Friday between 8:00am – 5:00 pm)
The Budget and Management Services Department works to solve Durham’s biggest challenges. We are innovators, managing City resources like they’re our own, guiding the City’s future through strategic planning and encouraging a culture of innovation and continuous improvement through special projects, partnerships and trainings. If innovating to solve challenges drives you, too, join our team in Durham!
The City of Durham’s Innovation Team manages the continuous improvement and innovation workplans for the City of Durham. Our process includes detailed exploration, ideation, testing, and analysis phases for each project we take on with a commitment to storytelling throughout. We are looking for a Research Assistant who can help summarize our project work and write reports, case studies, blog posts, and proposals for both technical and lay audiences.
- Assist with the compilation and writing of technical reports for continuous improvement projects centered on contracting, City ordinances, and litter prevention programs.
- Review existing files (reports, presentations, internal documents) from historical innovation and process improvement projects and summarize into public-facing pieces for the I-Team’s website.
- Develop content, including case studies and infographics, for the I-Team’s webpage, targeted at residents and non-specialists.
- Research relevant popular press or industry-related storytelling outlets and create pitches and/or proposals for pieces we wish to publish and promote.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Must be a currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited university or college.
- Pursuing a degree in communications, public policy, social science, or other related field OR have experience writing for both technical and non-technical audiences.
Important update on our COVID-19 process for new hires and employees:
All employees who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will pay a $100 surcharge each month for their health insurance benefit during the subsequent benefits year if they remain unvaccinated through 12/31/2022.
Additional Preferred Skills
- Experience with communication design tools such as Canva.
- Minimal familiarity with blogs or website-hosting and publishing platforms such as WordPress.
- Interest in the work of municipal innovation teams including process improvement, applied experiments, and storytelling.